Recovering Damages From Uninsured Drivers In Dallas

Let’s assume you are driving down Harry Hines Boulevard in Dallas minding your own business, and the next thing you know someone has run into the back of you. You’re sitting there in a wrecked car, and suspecting you may have whiplash. Just about the last thing that you want to hear is that the other driver is uninsured.

Actually, this can be a big problem in Dallas and other cities in Texas, since by some accounts up to 25% of drivers there don’t have liability insurance – although they are required to by law. Even if they do carry it, the problem is that Texas has only mandated a minimum liability coverage of $30,000 – so there is a good chance that there won’t be enough money to pay your medical expenses, replace your car and compensate you for the time you have to spend off work.

If you are in this position, you need to hire the best car wreck lawyer Dallas has to offer. Even if the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance or personal assets to cover your damages, there are a number of other ways that they can go about getting you the money you need to get your life back on track.

First, if the driver was on the job, it may be possible for you to sue their employer. If your lawyer can prove that they were negligent, then you will have a strong case against the company. For instance, if they force their driver to work long shifts and this contributed to the crash, then they are to blame. This also applies if you are hit by a truck and it is overloaded. Of course, the company also needs to have either insurance or assets that will cover your claim, but this is more likely than the driver having the coverage.

Second, if the driver who hit you was intoxicated, then the Texas dram law may apply. Under this law, any bar or other licensed establishment that serves liquor to someone who is visibly intoxicated is liable – in other words, you can sue them. Again, you will need a good, experienced lawyer to do this, because it is not enough to simply show that the driver was drunk. Instead, you will need reliable witnesses who can attest to the fact that the driver appeared intoxicated when they were sold alcohol, and these witnesses need to be prepared to testify in court.

Finally, if all else fails, your lawyer will help you to apply to the Texas Crime Victims Compensation Program. This is a fund which receives money from the fees criminals pay after they are convicted. It can give you a payout of up to $50,000 to cover a wide range of expenses, including medical treatment, lost wages, childcare costs and attorney’s fees. However, your lawyer may advise you to put off applying for this until you have run out of options, since you will have to pay the money back if you get damages from any other source.